Jeff and I will be running the Chicago Marathon on October 12 with Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. We are running in memory of Marci's dad, Walter Pilant and our friend, Marilyn Williams, who both lost their lives early to blood cancers. We are also running in honor of Shelby, a thirteeen year old girl who was diagnosed with leukemia when she was only four years old.

To donate toward our goal of $7,400, please click
HERE

To start from the beginning , click
HERE

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Marilyn


Twelve years ago today, September 24, 1996, a beautiful baby girl named Marilyn Williams entered this world. No one knew at that time what her life would consist of. Know one knew that in less than 11 years she would be going to her heavenly home. God knew though, and God created her, prepared her and used her in amazing ways during those few years of life she had.
I received an email from her mother, Connie, this morning after she looked at the blog. This is part of what she said, "The impact of your dad and Marilyn's lives is tremendous. When I saw Shelby's picture it took my breath away. It reminded me of Marilyn - long dark curly hair, big dog.........WOW! Our prayers are with you and yours daily. "

Jeff was able to visit with Connie a little this week and we know it is extremely hard for her on special days like this. Days she wishes she was having a birthday party for her precious child instead of shedding many tears of sorrow. It has only been a little over a year since Marilyn went to be with her Heavenly Father and the pain is still so fresh. There is nothing to take away that pain of losing someone you love so dearly- - -I know because I feel the same pain for my father. Even though we may know they are in a better place and they are happy, we still miss them immensley.

Connie shared a part out of a book she was reading and said it seemed like something Marilyn would have written. It was a letter from a 13-year-old girl who had also passed away. I wanted to share a portion of it.
"This is one of those 'if you're reading it I'm not around' letters. I guess it might be hard for you to read, but there are things I wanted to say, and I might not have the chance. First is, thank you so much for not aborting me. I know it wasn't easy for you to go through what you did, but you gave me life. Maybe you're thinking it would be better if you hadn't, since I dind't get to live very long. Don't think that.
My life was not a waste. I know I lived for a reason. I've done what I was created to do. I served my Jesus the best I could, and I think others have hope because of me. I might have wanted a different life, a healthy one. But Jesus knew better. So don't be sad for what I've lost. Be happy for what I've found."

Marilyn touched more lives in her short life than many people do in their entire lives. She was a trooper, she lived for Jesus, and she told you about it. She was not ashamed of the gospel and she had the courage to live a life of suffering and hardship for her Jesus. She truly laid her life down for Him and glorified Him in the process.

Now she gets to celebrate her birthday with Jesus! Happy Birthday Marilyn!

No comments: