Jeff and I will be running the Chicago Marathon on October 12 with Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. We are running in memory of Marci's dad, Walter Pilant and our friend, Marilyn Williams, who both lost their lives early to blood cancers. We are also running in honor of Shelby, a thirteeen year old girl who was diagnosed with leukemia when she was only four years old.

To donate toward our goal of $7,400, please click
HERE

To start from the beginning , click
HERE

Saturday, October 11, 2008

12 Hours To Go

We just got back to the room from the Team in Training Pasta Dinner. It was an emotional, funny, encouraging, sad, entertaining and inspiring dinner. All of the honorees and memorial pictures were being displayed on a large screen.

We had a couple of speakers that were really good speakers. One was John “the Penguin” Bingham who writes for Runner's World and he was HILARIOUS. It was like going to a stand up comedy show that was all about running- - -great stress reliever!
The other speaker was a woman whose niece was diagnosed with leukemia when she was only 3 years old. Her story brought many tears at our table. Thankfully, because of the money that the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is raising, the type of cancer that this little girl has has gone from a 55% cure rate to a 95% cure rate! Her niece is now 6 years old and in remission! It was really hard watching a family at our table shed many tears as I am sure they have probably lost a loved one also to this terrible cancer.

There are 650 Team in Training participants here in Chicago and combined we have raised 1.6 million dollars for LLS. It was so fun to sit with all of the other members and share what the M.C. called "our last meal" before the race.
Here are some pictures from the day:

Expo


Dad's Memorial Screen (these did not turn out well)

Marilyn's Memorial Screen

Shelby's Page

These next 2 pictures are of the amazingly LOUD reception the wholeTNT team received as we entered the dining hall for the pasta dinner. They went above and beyond to make us feel important!

Expo Picture

Pasta Dinner

Now it is time to TRY to sleep- - -hopefully it will come. But as I head off to bed, I wanted to leave you all with the email that I received from my dear sweet Camryn when I got back to the room tonight.

Hi mom, How are you?? I know you aren't going to stay up late but I hope you get this e-mail before the race. I just want to let you know that I love you a lot and I hope you won't get hurt. Mommy I wish I could be with you right now. I will be trying to check my e-mail a lot on Sunday. GOOD LUCK MOMMY!!! Here are some verses. I hope you like them.

Here they are:But the LORD said to him, "Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die" Judges 3:23


The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. Psalms 118:6


Mommy I love you with all my heart.


Camryn


P.S. I hope you cross the finish line. I love you a lot.



I love this huge banner from the expo. Tomorrow truly will be the victory lap!!

No comments: